Dyslexia Foundation is a Registered not -for -Profit non-governmental Foundation committed to creating awareness, identification and remediation of dyslexia in Nigeria.
The foundation pioneered the first and only comprehensive assessment and diagnosis of dyslexia in Nigeria and has been at the forefront of providing dyslexia remediation through the provision of training and resources for dyslexics, teachers, school administrators, parents, guardians and education stakeholders.
The Foundation was founded in April, 2015 by Ben and Felicia Arikpo. The founders, in their quest to find help for their dyslexic child who could only be diagnosed abroad because of nonexistent dyslexia assessment services in Nigeria at the time, felt called to fill a huge void by making dyslexia intervention services available to the estimated 20% of the Nigerian population struggling with the signs and symptoms of dyslexia.
Ben and Felicia Arikpo have over 30 years of combined development project management experience within and outside Nigeria. Under their leadership, the Foundation continues to implement projects across our thematic focus areas of awareness, Identification and remediation.
Our vision is that no one is left behind in the education system on account of a learning disability, especially dyslexia.
The Dyslexia Foundation is on a mission to create awareness, provide training and remediation on learning disorders (especially dyslexia) to parents, teachers and other stakeholders in Nigeria.
- Raise awareness, identify and remediate dyslexia.
- Advocacy for policy and legal reforms in support of people with dyslexia.
- Development and training of people with dyslexia and other cognitive disabilities especially children.
- Provide training in vocational and other skills for people with dyslexia and other cognitive disorders.
- Raise funds for development and training in Nigeria and globally for dyslexia and other cognitive disabilities.
- Provide grants and funds to organisations and individuals supporting the objectives of the Foundation.
- Improve the standard of basic education in the rural communities.
- Lead through innovation
- Practice good stewardship and accountability.
- Patience and empathy
- Result oriented
- Respect individual differences
- Support learning and development.