The 2019 Teachers’ Training Programme is in furtherance of our mission as Nigeria’s #1 Dyslexia awareness, training, and remediation centre. In our support for people with dyslexia, we have come to the painful realization that many teachers do not know about this learning challenge nor do they know how to identify the signs and symptoms. Consequently, they apply wrong teaching methods that do not work for people with dyslexia and other learning challenges. This training is therefore designed to build the capacity, competencies, knowledge and skills of teachers on dyslexia.
Goal of the Training
To create a robust teacher who can effectively recognize the signs and symptoms, as well as the techniques for teaching and supporting students with dyslexia and other learning challenges.
Objectives of the Training
The specific objectives of the training are as follows:
- To build the capacity of teachers to identify early signs of dyslexia in children in public and private schools in Nigeria.
- To train teachers on the unique and innovative strategies for classroom management where dyslexic children and those with learning challenges are involved.
- To train teachers to improve reading and identify barriers to reading and how to correct them.
- To train teachers on techniques for brain exercises for children with dyslexia.
Who Should Attend
- School Management Board members,
- Special Education Needs (SEN) and SENCO practitioners
- School Counselors
- Career Coaches
- Private School Owners
- Staff of Special Education Units and Departments, Ministry of Education
- School teachers and Parents
Date; Lagos- May 1st-3rd, 2019. Venue: Ikeja Centre; 5b, Adekunle Fajuyi Crescent Off Olutoye Crescent, off Adeniyi Jones by Capital Oil Bus stop, Ikeja Lagos.
The training features include the following
- Understanding dyslexia and other specific learning challenges; Causes and Consequences
- Signs and symptoms of dyslexia
- Case by case video analysis and reactions
- Group activities and role-play to ensure that learning is interactive and internalized.
- Some class room management tips
- Counseling techniques for dealing with parents of dyslexic children who choose to remain in denial against the backdrop of the prevailing religious and cultural beliefs in Nigeria.
- Speech Intervention Awareness and exercises
- The role of assistive technologies in dyslexia management
- Cognitive interventions and dyslexia remediation
- Award of certificates to participants upon completion of the post test of the training.
Cost of Training
The cost of this training registration is Thirty Thousand Naira (N30, 000) for early registration or Fifty Thousand Naira (N50, 000) for registration at the venue. It covers training materials, Certificates and refreshments for the training period.
Kindly click on the donate tab and go to other payments. Fill in the needed information and click the pay button. It would automatically register you for the training. Or through direct bank transfer to our account details below. A confirmation mail for the training would be sent to you from the dyslexia foundation including other joining details like venue, etc.
NB: Special concession would be given to school owners who may want to enroll a minimum of 5 members of their staff for the training.
Method of Payment
All payments can be made through our website www.dyslexiafoundation.org.ng/donate or by direct transfer to the following accounts:
- Account Name: Dyslexia Foundation Account #: 0060850417 Bank: Sterling Bank
- Account Name: Dyslexia Foundation; Account #: 0122648423 Bank: WEMA Bank
- Account Name: Dyslexia Foundation Account #: 0432077312 Bank: GTB
Ben Arikpo, Chairman Dyslexia Foundation
Felicia Offem- Arikpo, Executive Director, Dyslexia Foundation,
Moses Chukwueze, Programme Manager, Dyslexia Foundation
Esther Olusa, Speech Therapist
Onyinye Okeke, Dyslexia Initiatives Facilitator